Start with making the dough.
1. I used a stand mixer but a hand mixture should be great as well. Combine 2 cups of flour, 1/3 cup of white sugar, 4-1/2 teaspoons of yeast (2 packages)(yes that's a lot of yeast) and 1 teaspoon of salt and blend them.
2. Then take 1-1/2 cups of water and 6 tablespoons of butter/margarine and microwave them together for 2 rounds of 15 secs until quite warm but not hot. Dump the whole thing into the flour mixture along with an egg.
3. Beat for 2 minutes at medium speed gradually adding another cup of flour. Stop and scrape down the walls of the bowl, then beat another 2 minutes on high. Add enough flour to gradually have the dough form a ball (about another half cup to a cup should do it)
4. Turn out and knead it by hand for 6-8 minutes until the dough feels smooth (you will likely need to add flour as you knead the dough, it will be sticky). Form a ball and cover the dough for a 10 minutes nap.
5. The filling is simple, 1/3 cup of sugar and 2 teaspoons of cinnamon, mixed together. Soften 3 tablespoons butter/margarine to spread on the dough.
7 Working from the long edge, roll the dough tightly and evenly as possible and pinch the seams to make a log. Cut the log into 12 pieces (I used dental floss as a cutting garrot, worked great and didn't compress the dough)
8. Gently place the cut dough into a 13 by 9 inch greased baking pan (I also use parchment, these can really stick to a pan). With cut side up (which ever side looks prettier).
9. Cover with a towel and let rise until doubled, about an hour.
10. Pre heat the oven to 350. Bake for 25-30 minutes (I took the whole 30 minutes and sometimes even a bit more). They should be starting to turn golden brown on top.
11. Carefully turn out onto a cooling rack and let sit for at least 20 minutes.
12. While you are waiting mix 2-1/2 cups of icing sugar, 2 tablespoons butter/margarine 2 to 3 tablespoons of milk 1 teaspoon of vanilla until smooth.
13. Spread that sweet icing over those delicious buns and enjoy!!
By the way... once the icing sets try separating them and freezing them... when you take them out of the freezer microwave for about 30 seconds and wash them down with a nice cup of coffee :-)